|Sterling Methodist Church|
The earliest records of the church date back to 1878 and include mention of travelling ministers. In 1884, the Congregation of the German Methodist Episcopal Church of Sterling Township of Dakota Territory was officially established and met in homes of the members.
It wasn't until 1895 that the congregation had a church building. George L. Workman leased the three acres of land the church was built on in Sterling Township, Brookings County, South Dakota from Daniel Koester for $30.00.
The first wedding held in the church building was that of Anna Workman and Merle Taylor in June of 1946.
In 1984 the congregation had 29 members, many of them related to the Workman family.
|Interior of the Sterling Methodist Church|