Pages

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Those Places Thursday - Postcards: Susanville, California

In Grandma Leola's box of treasures, is a stack of postcards. Most of them were written on and sent to Leola or her parents by family and friends. There are a handful though that have no writing on them at all.

I remember picking up postcards on my adventures for souvenirs. In fact I have a shoebox full of postcards from places like Rapid City, Washington D.C., various places in Spain, and any zoo or tourist attraction that I visited as a child. None of mine have any writing either.

So curiosity strikes this genealogist again. What significance did the places on these postcards have for Grandma Leola?

The first postcard place is Susanville, California:
The wording at the bottom of the picture says:
"Looking east on  Main St." Susanville, Calif.  J.H. Eastman #B-359-B
Grandma Leola and her family lived in the Bell Gardens, California area during the 1940s.  Bell Gardens is about 570 miles from Susanville, roughly a 10 hour drive.

What significance might Susanville, California have in Leola's life?

5 comments:

  1. Interesting. I know where Susanville is, but haven't been there. My great-grandparents lived in Bell Gardens in the 1940's too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe they were on vacation or just traveling through Susanville. I've been there but don't remember it. Beautiful picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crapser family :
    My mothers family-name here in Norway was Kjølseth(KJOLSETH). Her father came from a place close to Kongsvinger. He was born in 1903(04). His first name was Gudbrand. My e.mail adress is :
    mo-boer@online.no

    ReplyDelete
  4. If your looking for a place to donate the old postcard, the Lassen Historical Society is always looking for donations.
    Lassen County Historical Society

    75 North Weatherlow St., Susanville, CA 96130
    (530) 257-3292

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susanville is on one of the major routes to Reno, maybe they were passing through and had a stop. I've seen this sight in the 60's and 70's since Susanville is my home town. My parents and grandparents lived there. I've never seen this picture before, nice! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete