As I promised in Part 2, I'll start this post off with the Norwegian Census. Since Haktor H Wicks immigrated in 1867 and Haktor T Wicks immigrated in 1870, the 1865 census seemed like the place to begin the search. It would likely have been amongst the last public records of the two being at the same farm.
I was not successful in finding the Haktors by name in the 1865 census. Next I tried using the farm search and searched for "Vike". The index found twenty-four entries for Vike in Hordaland, which happens to be where Skanevik is located. Clicking on Hordaland's link, it then found twelve entries for Skaanevig (Norwegian form of Skanevik). All twelve entries are listed in the same District, Page, School District, Local Parish, and Parish.
District no: 6Many of the 80 names listed for this farm have contain some form of Haktor. This looks very promising! Scanning down the list of names:
School distr: 6th
Local Parish: Aaker
- Person #, Household, Name, Relation, Occupation, Martial Status, Age, Gender
- 1900, 1, Ole Hactors., husfader, Gaardbruger og Selveier, g, 54, m
- Horses: 1, Cattle: 10, Sheep: 20, Pig: 2, Oat: 3, Potatoes: 2
- 1901, , Kari Johannesd., hans Kone, , g, 66, k
- ... two female servants (Tjenestepige)
- 1904, 1, Hactor %H% Ols., hans Fader, Føderaadsmnd, g, 83, m
- 1905, , Britta Torjusd., hans Kone, , g, 85, k
- 1906, 1, Hactor Hactors., Logerende, Sømand, g, 47, m
- 1907, , Guri Tallaksd., hans Kone, g, 29, k
- 1908, , Hactor Hactors, deres Søn, , ug, 2, m
- 1909, , Tallak Hactors, deres Søn, , ug, 1, m
- 1910, , Lisabeth Hactorsd., deres Datter, , ug, 4, k
- 1911, 1, Johannes Johannes., Husfader, Husmand uden Jord, Sømand, g, 41, m
- 1912, , Britta Hactorsd., hans Kone, , g, 39, k
- ... Johannes children (Johannes, Hactor, Ole, Johannes, and Bølla)
- 1918, 1, Torjuls Hactors, Husfader, Husmand uden Jord, Jagtebygger, g, 53, m
- 1919, , Christi Sjursd., hans Kone, , g, 50, k
- 1920, , Sjur %Hactor% Torjulss., deres Søn, , ug, 15, m
- 1921, , Niels Torjulss., deres Søn, , ug, 7, m
- 1922, , Aasa Torjulsd., deres Datter, , ug, 9, k
- 1923, 1, Hactor Torjulss. deres Søn, Sømand, ug, 19, m
- ... (Johannes and Elias families)
- 1955, 1, Tørris Gudmunds., Husfader, Gaardbruger og Selveier, g, 39, m
- Horses: 1, Cattle: 10, Sheep: 30, Pig: 1, Oat: 4, Potatoes: 4
- 1956, , Alis Tørrisd., hans Kone, , g, 26, k
- ... children of Tørris Gudmunds
- 1960, , Madela Tørrisd., hans Datter, , ug, 19, k
Based on the Census data above, the family appears to go like this:
- Hactor Olsen -born in 1782, married Britta Torjusdatter
- Ole Hactorsen - born in 1811, married Kari Johannesdater
- Torjuls Hactorsen - born in 1812, married Christi Sjursdatter
- Hactor Torjulssen - born in 1846, married Madela Tørrisdatter
- Hactor Hactorsen - born in 1818, married Guri Tallaksdatter
- Britta Hactorsdatter - born in 1826, married Johannes Johannesen
If this is true, that would make Jessica's Haktor Haktorsen Wicks the uncle to my Haktor Torjulssen Wicks, right?
Now we just need to find references from 1820-1865 that would show the Hactor Olsen family. I know the censuses between 1801 and 1865 were just statistical and didn't really include names of family members.
I've also found some birth records and marriage records for children in both families via the FamilySearch.org site, but still nothing that really ties Hactor T Wicks or his father Torjuls H Wicks to Hactor H Wicks.
Are there any other Norwegian genealogy references for the 1820-1865 time frame that I'm overlooking?